Monday, August 25, 2008

If I had a bucket list ...

I don't have a bucket list, mostly because I'm not planning to kick it anytime soon. But, if I did, seeing Bruce Springsteen in concert would have been on it. Back in the day when the back row of Mercury newsroom reporters were serious Bruce fans, I never got the coveted tickets to his shows at the Spectrum or Vet. I always wished I had.
Now, some 30 years later, Bruce is still one of the hottest acts in the nation, and last week I reaped the advantage of having a music-lover working son who bought me two tickets to Springsteen in Hershey for my June birthday.
Then, he talked concert promoters into a press pass for himself, so my husband and I even got a chauffeur in the bargain.
Now that I have experienced the phenomenon that has people going back time and again to see The Boss live, I would recommend it for anyone's "list" -- bucket, birthday or otherwise.
These words from my son's review:
"Young children sung classic choruses into Bruce's microphone as he held it in front of their shy faces. Older kids danced with red, white and blue banners wrapped around them like blankets, dancing with one another to E-Street beats. Rabid fans shouted every word to every song. And hardly any one sat down through the music marathon, from the front of the stage to the very back of the stadium.
"It was every bit as intense as most say. From crowd reaction to band delivery."
I have never seen a musician revel in the audience like Springsteen did in Hershey, as I am told he does everywhere. He doesn't throw around comments like "You guys are great" or "I can't hear you!" to drum up the crowd. Instead, he just revels in every refrain, every look, every arm reaching toward the stage.
His svelte figure is on the move the entire three hours-plus, and most of it is at crowd level. He runs, dances and skips, and then reaches deep into the mass of arms and faces to share his microphone with a wide-eyed child.
And, the crowd revels in him, too. Surrounded by the faithful, I felt like the Bruce-concert-neophyte that I am. Everyone knows every word to every song, and Springsteen's storytelling sagas do not lend themselves to easy memory. I was at a loss.
The entire evening was amazing. A full moon rose above the beautiful summer night in this sweetest place on earth, as they say.
As my son writes:
"If I haven't underscored the point enough, the spectacle of seeing a Bruce Springsteen concert with his E-Street Band--whether you own an album, think he's old or overrated or whatever--is something you must behold in your lifetime, while you still can.
"It's not about him. It's not about selling tickets. It's not even about music. It's about life, freedom, and a glowing love to be alive."
It's about a glorious, glory day.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mercury Muncher said...

talk about good sources.

August 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home