Monday, February 11, 2008

Borough doesn't have a prayer

I am a person of Christian faith.
I am a churchgoer, member of my church consistory, serve on a committee or two, bake cakes when I'm asked to, and give regularly to both church and charity.
I pray a lot. I start the day with a prayer asking to make good decisions and do the right things at home and work; I pray at night to offer thanks for the blessings of the day.
When I'm driving, if I'm stopped at the third red light in a row on High Street, I pray for patience. When the phone rings late at night, I pray that nothing bad has happened to one of the kids. When I see a headline or an error in the paper that I know will set the phones ringing, I pray for fortitude.
I pray for wisdom when facing a difficult decision; I pray for guidance when challenged.
But, I do not believe Pottstown Borough Council meetings should open with a prayer.
Prayer, to me, is a conversation with God. Sometimes, like in church, at a family dinner, or in informal gatherings, the "conversation" involves a group. But when prayer is used as part of a public proceeding, it takes on a different quality.
The offering of the prayer -- a statement that "we are religious" -- becomes the focus. The conversation becomes a speech.
The move to open council meetings with a prayer may seek to illustrate that the borough is a place of values.
A better illustration would be strengthening leadership and demonstrating values through deeds, not words.
I think that will be my prayer.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mercury Muncher said...

amen.

February 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home