Monday, September 8, 2008

Shots in the war of words

"For the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

That comment by Michelle Obama earlier this year sparked a firestorm of criticism accusing her of being unpatriotic and failing to appreciate the advantages of this nation.

In the after-glow of the two recent conventions, I must say I not only understand but embrace the sentiment. I would change "for the first time in my adult life," to "never in my adult life have I been more proud ..." But, the point is that the "firsts" of this election and the resulting enthusiasm of these times is cause to be proud of the people of this country in a way never before experienced in recent decades.

The four people at the top of the two major party tickets for President of the United States are an African-American raised by his Hawaiian grandmother, a Scranton-born senator from Delaware, a Naval career officer and Vietnam prisoner of war hero, and a woman from Alaska who is the mother of five and includes among her hobbies commerical fishing, basketball and hunting.

The diversity in background, color, creed, and gender reflects a nation that is finally evolving to allow its leaders to reflect its followers. I have never been more proud.

That pride, however, is tempered and will be tested in the weeks ahead by the war of words as candidates seize on every comment and every nuance of their opponents.

The attacks against a candidate's wife who was raised as a minority in this country for proclaiming her pride that the times are changing is one example. But it is one of many. Both campaigns are guilty of distorting reality and spinning it into another world. And, "the media" -- which includes the pundits and the magazine columnists and the metro editorial writers, as opposed to your average daily newspaper writers and editors -- thrives on the personal drama.
I am appalled by the attacks on Sarah Palin, but I am equally appalled by the spin placed on comments that are not attacks. (Does anyone seriously believe Sen. Obama was referring to Palin when he said you can put lipstick on a pig ... ?)
I am ever so proud to be a citizen in a nation that is truly embracing change for the first time in my adult life.
I am not so pleased by the nonsense in words that we will all have to endure during the next two months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home