Friday, September 12, 2008

They read the editorial!

When I saw the Associated Press photos of Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain while planning today's editions of The Mercury, I couldn't help but think:
"They're paying attention! They read the editorial!"
Those who know me and who read my ramblings on a regular basis know that "getting along" is a popular theme for me. I promote non-partisanship and a coming together across political party lines on themes of importance to citizens of this country. Not Republican. Not Democrat. Just citizens.


From Thursday's opinion piece in the paper, also posted as a blog entry yesterday, were these words, recalling the days after Sept. 11, 2001:


"If only for a short time, the lines between Democrat and Republican, city and country dweller, and every other division were blurred. People behaved with decency toward one another."
The point is that remembering Sept. 11 should inspire such decency again.
And so, I was thrilled to see the photos of the two presidential candidates walking together in a common theme of remembrance and honor instead of the sniping we are becoming accustomed to as Election Season gets into full swing.
(For a lighter look at this "bipartisan luv," see Scene and Heard.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home